Homemade applesauce is out-of-this-world excellent and ridiculously straightforward to make. If you know how to peel an apple and flip on the stove, you can make applesauce. Seriously, it is that easy. Just adhere to these straightforward directions to make your first batch.
Prep Time: 60 mins
Cook Time: twenty mins
- Apples, peeled, chopped and cored
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice for every single twelve lbs of apples
- Sugar to taste (optional)
- Cinnamon to taste (optional)
one. Location the apples in a large pot, and cover halfway with water.
2. Deliver the pot to a boil then, minimize the heat and simmer for twenty minutes, stirring often.
3. If you choose chunky applesauce, use a potato masher to mash the apples to your preferred consistency. If you favor flawlessly smooth sauce, run them by means of a food mill, blender or food processor. I like to use an immersion blender to mix my sauce simply because I can do all the operate in the pot.
4. Add the lemon juice and any sugar or cinnamon that you want to consist of. Taste check and make even more changes, till you happen to be pleased with the final results.
Ladle the applesauce into sizzling, sterilized jars, leaving half an inch of headspace. Then, run a spatula or bubble remover tool about the inside edge of the jar to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean top with a boiled lid safe the band, and process in a boiling water bath – 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts. Area the jars on a towel, and let them to amazing overnight. Then, test the jars for a good seal in the morning (press down on the lid and if the lid isn’t going to pop back, the jar is sealed). Refrigerate any jars that did not seal correctly.
Processing times vary by altitude. Check with your regional extension workplace for times specific to your region, or refer to the Nationwide Center for Residence Food Preservation for altitude-specific recommendations.
Ladle the applesauce into clean, freezer jars, leaving half an inch of headspace in pint jars and a single inch of headspace in quart jars. Seal the jars, and enable them to cool completely ahead of freezing.
Yield: Assume to get a single quart of applesauce out of every eight medium apples utilized.